This is the first installment of our Google Ads 101 series that will walk you through step by step how to set your dental practice up with a Google Ads campaign as part of your dental marketing strategy.
In this first post, we’re going to walk you through how to complete the initial set up of your Google Ads account.
What Are Google Ads?
Google Ads is a PPC (pay per click) advertising platform through Google. This is an advertising system where advertisers (that’s you!) bid on certain keywords for their clickable ads to appear in related search results. As the advertiser, you pay for the clicks your ad receives—this is how Google makes its money.
For example, when someone is searching for a dentist near them, Google will provide them with a list of results based on their location. At the top of that list is where they’ll find PPC ads. If your dental practice is utilizing Google’s advertising platform, your practice could be the very first search result they see—this increases the likelihood of that searcher clicking on your ad and landing on your site and then becoming a new patient.
How Can Google Ads Help My Dental Practice Marketing?
Studies show that 98% of searchers choose a business from the first page of their Google search results. If your dental practice isn’t showing up on the first page for your related search terms, that searcher’s business is going to your competitors. Google Ads is one of the fastest ways to secure a spot on the first page of Google.
Another way that AdWords help dental practices is that dentists stand to benefit from keyword-driven Google Ads because patients are often typing in specific, urgent requests. Dental patients are frequently looking for a solution to their dental problem, fast.
For example, if a person loses a filling or they knock out their front teeth, they tend to get really specific with their searches. To harness that search intent and use it to make sure that your dental practice is the one that lands right in front of the patient, you must be able to target those keywords effectively.
And you can do that with Google Ads. Next, we’ll get into a short tutorial on how to set up your Google Ads account to get the ball rolling.
How to Set Up Google AdWords
Here’s our step by step process on how to set up Google Ads for your dental practice marketing strategy:
1. Go to ads.google.com and click the “start now” button in the upper righthand corner.
2. If you’re not already signed in with your Google account, you’ll be asked to do so by entering your email and password.
3. To create a brand new campaign, click “New Google Ads Account.”
4. Next, you’ll be asked to select your advertising goal. You can choose from three different options;
- Get more calls
- Get more visits to your physical location
- Get more website sales or signups
There’s also an option to click “Experienced with Google Ads?”
By selecting one of the initial three options, Google will take you on a more guided tour of how to create those desired results. In this case, go ahead and click “Experienced with Google Ads” since you have our dental practice-specific guide to walk you through the process.
5. You’ll be asked to select a campaign. There are several campaign options, each with different goals. For this example, we’re going to choose “search campaign.”
From there, you’ll be asked to select the single goal that would make this campaign successful to you—the goals you have to choose from are;
- Drive sales
- Get leads
- Get people to visit your website
You can also choose to proceed without a goal. Make your selection and then click “continue.”
6. In this next step, you’re going to select your campaign settings. You can put a title on your campaign and then follow these steps to walk through the settings:
- Demographics: This is where you’re going to select the location where your ads will be targeting, the language you want to use, and the type of audiences.
- Budget and Bidding: This is where you’ll specify the amount you’re willing to spend on ads each day. This is also where you’ll be able to bid on certain keywords that you wish to focus on.
- Ad Extensions: Lastly, this is where you’ll be able to add additional information to your ads like your practice information and links.
Once you’re all set with these settings, you can click “save and continue.”
7. Next, you’re going to set your Ad Groups. This is where you’ll be selecting keywords for your ad to appear for. We’ll go over this in-depth in our next post.
For now, you can just add your website and/or products and services and it will match you with keywords. You can also use the “get keyword ideas” tool on the sidebar to find additional keywords. Click “save and continue” when you’re all done.
8. Now it’s time to create your ad. This is the step where you’ll be identifying what will be shown on your ad. You’ll want to indicate the final URL, headline, and description.
There will be an ad preview on the right, be sure to read over everything carefully and double-check for accuracy and spelling/grammatical errors. Once you’re all set, click “save and continue” to proceed.
9. Set up your billing next. This is pretty standard and straightforward payment information. Enter your desired payment info in and accept Google’s terms and conditions to proceed.
10. Get excited because you just set up your first Google Ads account!
Dental Marketing Solutions to Take Your Practice to the Next Level
In our next installment of our Google Ads 101 for Dental Practices, we’ll dig deeper into how to find and target specific keywords that will give you the biggest ROI, an edge on your competition, and most new patients in your door.
If you need additional help setting up your Google Ads account or want comprehensive dental marketing services from a company that knows the industry, schedule your FREE 30-minute dental marketing consultation with Core Dental Solutions today.
Want to stay in-the-know with the latest in dental marketing and receive exclusive offers? Join our email list!